Saturday, April 30, 2016

My Garden Is Coming Along Nicely

It has been a little more than two weeks since I planted my vegetable garden. The plants in the garden and on the deck are coming along very nicely. Below are some photos of how well the plants are doing. I have only lost one lettuce plant. Not bad considering everything that I planted.
I also was able to completely finish my repairs to the fence that surrounds our yard. Each slat was checked and reinforcing nails were hammered in wherever they were needed.  Another 2 weeks and the people will come in to power wash the fence.
Next big chore on the list is to totally empty out and organize everything that is in the shed. That job will most likely take a couple of days. There is a ton of stuff i the shed and hopefully we can weed out and get rid of the things that we won't be using. That job won't be started until after the fence has been pressure washed.

Here are some of the vegetable pots that are on our back deck. In the foreground are various types of sweet peppers
 Below are some onions and lettuce
 Below are baby broccoli plants
 The long low pot in the front has carrots grown from seeds. They seem to be coming along slowly. Behind the carrots on the left are assorted sweet peppers  and to the right are some of the baby broccoli plants that are doing great

 Below are various views of my garden. From left to right and front to back there are lettuce plants, 2 tomato plants, baby broccoli plants, zucchini plants, assorted sweet peppers and 3 rows of sweet corn

 I have several pots like the one below that are for sweet onions- both Texas and Georgia sweet onions
 Below is Italian Oregano
 Below are assorted sweet pepper plants
 Baby broccoli
I also have some of the long planter boxes on the front of the shed that have sweet basil and oregano plants in them

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Rebuilding And Repairs

I have been kept busy since my last blog entry. I am in the process of repairing our wooden fence. It has been quite some time since it has seen any attention. The fence and back deck will get pressure washed in early May. Before that time I need to check each and every board to see if and of the slats have come loose and if so I need to nail them back in place.
I got one of the shorter sides done today. I will get the other side done tomorrow. That will leave the longest side yet to do.
Then there was the raised vegetable garden that was really an eyesore and totally falling apart. The wooden sides had decayed and fallen down and the garden bed itself was totally over run by weeds. The plastic fencing that goes around the garden was a total mess along with the landscape fabric that had been torn apart and not doing its job of keeping the weeds out.
I ended up getting 4 brand new 2" x 6" x 8' pressure treated/water resistant pieces of lumber, 4 corner brackets to hold the lumber together, a new roll of plastic fencing, a new roll of landscape fabric and several pvc short pipe sections.
Below is the before and after photos of the raised vegetable garden. I even made a small gate so I wouldn't have to climb over the fence.


I used landscape staples to keep the landscape fabric from blowing around. The above shown photo was taken before I planted anything. Since fixing the garden I have planted baby broccoli, several types of sweet peppers, a couple types of tomatoes, some iceberg lettuce and several rows of sweet corn.
Besides planting in this garden I utilized quite a number of plant pots to plant some additional types of sweet peppers, Texas sweet onions, Georgia sweet onions, baby carrots, oregano, sweet basil and some more baby broccoli. 
If everything grows and produces as expected we will have quite a crop of assorted vegetables.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Life Goes On

It seems like forever since Veronica and I returned from our last vacation and it has been non stop action ever since. Upon arriving back from our vacation we found that we had a minor flood in our small kitchen. As it turned out we needed to get the lower cabinets pulled out and rebuilt, have the carpet taken out and changed over to vinyl flooring, get a new updated faucet  put in and a new colorful counter top put in. This job has been going on for approximately 6 weeks as of today but it might be completed least we hope so. Everything that was in our kitchen is currently and has been re-located to our living room and hallway. It will be nice to get all of our space back so we don't feel so closed in.
Been working on a few other projects since it has started warming up.
Started with some grass seed and that seed patch stuff to get the front yard looking a little better.
Will be doing some repair work on the fence. Ordered and will be putting up new blinds on several windows...mainly the kitchen and living room.
I am also working on fixing a major eye sore in the yard. There is an 8' x 8' raised vegetable garden that has seen better days. The wood holding the dirt in has rotted, weeds over taken the actual garden area and the plastic fencing is in bad need of replacement. I have collecting everything that will be need to totally transform this raised garden back into usable shape. Tomorrow I will attack that raised garden and I plan on having it all done before tomorrow is over, with the exception of the plastic fencing which has been ordered. I will be planting several rows of sweet corn, a few tomato plants, baby broccoli, baby carrots, sweet onions- both Georgia and Texas and various varieties of sweet peppers. I have already planted a couple of new window boxes on the shed with sweet basil and Greek oregano plants.
This is just the start of my ever growing list. It has been hectic to say the least but....Life goes on.
Related Posts with Thumbnails