Monday, February 27, 2017

Time Has Been Flying By And Very Quickly I Might Add

I can't believe it has been so long since my last blog entry and a lot has happened since then.
along with the New Year comes the usual new medical issues. It only took about 4 - 5 months for the positive effects of the RFI...Radio Frequency Ablation on my lower spine to wear off and the pain has come back with a vengeance. I have an appointment setup with the doctor that did my lst procedure to see if I can get it done again. I am hoping that it will last longer than the last procedure but I knew upfront that it wasn't a permanent fix for my back and nerve issues. So with that being said I have made an appointment with a Neurosurgeon to see what permanent options are available to me.
I still am dealing with my other usual daily aches and pains from my chronic bursa issues in my hips along with arthritis in a number of my other joints.
About 2 months ago I had a double hernia repaired via robotic surgery. It was no at all what I was expecting. I looked like someone had beat me with a baseball bat afterwards and the bruising took quite some time to clear up. All has ended well on that issue.
After not being able to do much over the last 3-4 months I have finally started to get back into my workouts and I am awaiting a little warmer weather to start my walking routine again. I am hoping to get back into shape and get some relief from a few of my issues so that I will be able to walk around with less pain for our upcoming 2 week vacation in Venice, Italy. Once again we are renting a apartment in Venice from Airbnb. I got a lightweight travel tripod for Christmas so that I can take some great photos at night while we are in Venice.
I just finished doing a 2 month furniture restoration project. My Grandfather made a cupboard piece by hand probably back in the early 1940s. This piece had not been taken care of well at all. It was out in the garage for quite a few years and then in an attic for several more years. This piece had an upper and lower section. The lower section had 2 solid wooden doors and a shelf dividing the lower section into 2 sections. The upper section had 2 shelves dividing the space into 3 levels. The doors on the top section had framed in glass with thin wood decorative pieces in front of the glass windows.
I ended up taking the glass panels and decorative trim out of the top doors and then I proceeded to strip and sand off the numerous layers of paint that had been applied over the years. This was the worst part of the project and took several days to complete this step. Veronica and I went to Home Depot to figure out what colors to paint the piece. We ended up choosing a grayish colored paint along with a soft yellow contrasting paint. We decided to use handmade punch tin panels to replace the areas where the glass panels had been. We ordered these tin panels online from a place in PA. It took approximately 3 weeks to get them made and sent to us. The panels were recessed down into the top level door sections so I decided to try doing a floating frame type of effect utilizing some painted trim pieces that were raised about 1/4" higher than the recessed tin panels. I also got some custom cut sections of glass to put on top and to protect each wooden shelf. Near the end of the project we went to Hobby Lobby and purchased several types and shapes of wood and metal type of bins/containers that were in various sizes. We bought the bins/containers with the plan of using this piece in our kitchen, in our future forever home. Lastly we bought some pull handles at Hobby Lobby which I painted the grayish contrasting color. I put all of the hardware on  and put the doors back on with new hinges and finally called this project completed yesterday evening. Veronica and I are planning on using this piece in the kitchen of our future forever home. It will be used as a storage unit for anything and everything baking related such as spices, flavorings, cookie molds, jars of sugar, flour, brown sugar etc.
My only regret was that I did not take a couple of photos before I started this project other than the two below which were taken during the project. Those photos will give you a general idea as to what I was working with. Below those 2 photos are the outcome of my finished project.......

Here are two photos showing the old wood decorative trim panel that was in front of the lead glass recessed in the top 2 doors. The trim and led glass were removed and replaced with the hand punched tin panels as seen down below.












Related Posts with Thumbnails